Friday, October 12, 2012


There are several things I dislike about school. One of the main things is the constant control of the environment and the feeling of needing to control how students accomplish their learning. Maybe I have too much trust in my students? Maybe I feel like it's better to stop worrying about "covering" material and let kids experience it, but I often feel like my approach is viewed as too hands-off. At times, I have students who are so uncomfortable with the responsibilities that I give them and I am forced to do more traditional stuff. I understand. They haven't had the chance to experience learning the way I want them too and they are just not there yet.

This week, 35 of my students went with me to put on a Literacy Carnival for 1st graders. There were game stations, but my favorite was the reading buddies station. Each of my students would help a 1st grader select a book (which they got to keep) and would read with them. I did some low-key preparation with my students. I prepped them to help kids select from the books, deal with shy kids, and how to decide who would be doing the reading...the big buddy or the little one? I also demonstrated expressive reading. It was brief. (seriously, 15 minutes of guidance)

What I saw from my students was simply amazing. Yes, they were enthusiastic. Yes, some of them are naturally talented. But honestly, when they knew that a 1st grader was counting on them, they rose to the occasion in amazing ways. I saw surprising compassion and amazing good judgement from my kids. When one of my students had a little girl talk to her about abuse in her home, my student knew to tell me, and was willing to talk to the social worker at the elementary school. But more importantly, she expressed caring and concern to the little girl--at that moment. She even wrote a special message in the girl's chosen book.

I want to say that this is learning. I want to say that this is why I trust my students. I want to say that this is why I have problems with school and the control that it wants to force on me to in turn, force upon my students. I don't need to tell my kids exactly what to do. NO ONE DOES. They are thinking, caring, feeling, wonderful human beings. And I think they need to know that I trust them.

The problem is that I don't teach "the good kids." No one trusts and expects this from them. At other schools, they would never be allowed to participate in this service learning project because they wouldn't meet the criteria of being a "good kid." Why? Why to we insist on denying kids the opportunities during which they would shine and we would see real light in them?

Yesterday proved to me that my approach is not wrong. I will continue to express to my students that I see the best in them and know that they are awesome and amazing...even when I doubt it. I believe in learning.

2 comments:

  1. My heart just goes out to you on this! I'm also somewhat hands off in that I don't want to stand up and lecture to my community college students. I want them to write. I want them to think. I don't want to hand them yet another rubric that tells them exactly how to get the "A." Love hearing about this service learning project though. How wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response. It was a truly fun and touching experience to see my kids interacting so well with these little guys...I think it brought out their softer sides.

      Yes, I don't like doing rubrics. I like thinking and writing as well!

      Delete