Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 3. We're in the thick of it...

I began my morning journey into the land of other teacher/writers by being stuck in traffic on 85. Great. I was bringing part of breakfast and now I was going to be late! But it all worked out, and after fueling up with some yogurt with granola as well as a delicious cupcake (omg), I was ready to get going.

So where does inspiration come from anyway? We watched a short video about this and it really gave me an opportunity to evaluate where my inspiration has come from, as well as how I feel about collaboration with others. As usual, I learned a lot about myself. The video also made me think about places where creativity blooms--as in time in history or locations in the world. It does seem like inspiration gravitates toward other inspiration. Perhaps this has to do with the energy involved?

Which leads me to my next thought about inspiring my students. I truly run out of energy during the course of the school year. I need energy to sustain inspiration, and I can't generate it all myself. How do I better manage this area of my teaching? And this leads me back to my inquiry: How will I plan well for inspiring students to take ownership of what *I* know a daybook can do for them, not only as writers, but as human beings. I need to begin the process with energy and have a plan for sustaining enthusiasm.

Here's where my enthusiasm of the day began:

 So now here I am at the end of day 3.  As I review my notes and responses in my daybook, I notice that I have more questions than answers, more rabbit trails than decisions. And I think that's OK right now.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of looking closely into daybooks and how they can create inspiration in students and hopefully motivation to write. I hope to use this idea in the fall so that students will have one place to go with their writing. We currently write in our journals to express our thoughts and ideas, but I have learned in the past three days that it can be so much more. I plan to give each of my students a daybook on the first day of class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about your comment about energy in the classroom and feel like the best way I get energized is from being around other enthusiastic people. I recruit colleagues with shared interests and are drawn to others with like minded-ideas and a willingness to lead, spearhead, and take on new initiatives. Although we might grow weary, there is a group energy that keeps our momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you all. This is why I spend so much time around the Writing Project, because whether its for weeks at a time in the summer or a day or couple hours here and there through the school year, I need this to re-energize myself. I start to get kind of self-pitying I think! And then I get to be around a bunch of smart people who think I am smart- and wallah! Ready and inspired to teach again!

    ReplyDelete