Thursday, July 12, 2012

Inquiring Minds Want to Know...

My inquiring mind wants to know where I'm going with my inquiry. Ha! But this is so true. I think maybe at the beginning I thought I was going to come up with some great, groundbreaking plan to help students to make daybooks a REAL part of their learning in my class and in their thinking as a whole.

Today, I think I'm looking for an answer that isn't there. What I mean is that maybe it's not as complicated as I think. I know I can't direct student use of daybooks. I will rarely be in a setting where I can say, "Now students, let's take 2.7 minutes to react in our daybooks...blah blah..." It's not going to happen like that. But what do I already do in my classroom that is different and that works for these kids? I work with them one on one. So this is where my daybook practice has to come in. I will have mine, they will have theirs, we will work together. I will share and be authentic and encourage students to feel safe in that space. I will model ways of thinking and ask them to think with me. It doesn't matter that I'm not leading and directing the entire class. It just doesn't matter. I don't have to be at SI to use and grow from using my daybook! Yes, it is nice to work together at times, and my students would benefit from that, but it isn't going to make or break the use of daybooks in my classroom.

YAY! I'm not done with my inquiry, but I'm feeling better.

At one point during today, I was feeling like this:

Yes, this horrible expression (self-portrait) was due to another SIer and her demo during which I would be blindfolded and sent on a mission with an assistant. I was on a mission to find an artifact of sound. Hmmm...that took some thought, but I felt like a great artifact would be a recording of the crosswalk robot voice on campus. (you know, the one that says "Mary Alexander Road")

My partner did a great job of not letting me die. And this is how I felt when I got back:
So this "game" is all fine and good, but what did I learn. I could say a lot about what I learned, but I think if you look back up at the 1st picture and think about me, thinking about how my students might feel when I give them an assignment they don't understand, you'll see where I'm headed with this. I was in a state of discomfort throughout the activity. Yet, there was also this strange sense of freedom--because I couldn't see anyone looking at me.

Deep thoughts for inquiring minds...

3 comments:

  1. I am really liking the connection you're making between Jessie's demo and where daybooks could be fitting into your class. I think that leaving it open and letting kids create the space that is their daybook is a great idea. I've seen teachers micromanage the way daybooks are used to the point that they are grading students on the format of their table of contents. You're taking this in the other direction, and doing so not just because it's a better alternative, but also because it fits with the approach of your class. Can't wait to see what happens as you continue your inquiry down this road (that is, if you stay on this road!). Thanks for sharing it, and the pics..they cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your attitude about your daybook is perfect. There is nothing that says you need to use daybooks only in groups. I love to get a feeling of calmness when you feel there is a resolution to your question. All daybooks do not have to be created equal.:) This is something I am going to try and make sure I keep in mind in my classroom when we are delving into the world of daybooks.
    Loved the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow explorer, I can totally relate to the anxiety in the first picture. The exercise was interpretive and I love that we've all taken something different away from it. Using daybooks with students one-on-one provides an interactive journaling experience, a place to collect thoughts, and more. Students are never without their daybooks and bring them to all their classes to connect their ideas. If there is something I want to read, I ask students to leave their daybooks out and if there something students want to keep private, they simply fold the page in half. I'm glad you're feeling the freedom to make adaptations to your non-traditional classroom.

    ReplyDelete